Translate

Monday, October 1, 2018

Small successes

Trying to get into my sewing room more lately.  A successful impulse was this smaller project (it's been on my radar for a couple of years), the wonder clip pocket pincushion.   Here's a tutorial for another style that holds many more clips than mine.  I was able to pull some scraps out of my 1-1/2" squares for the nine-patched pocket and then cut the rest from other fabrics from the scrap stash.


It was done just in time to go to a quilting class on English Paper Piecing where I knew I'd need my wonder clips, aka: La Passacaglia offered in Saratoga Springs on September 13th.   What tiny pieces are used in "La Pass"! 
I managed to cut out 5 A pieces and only got two of them sewn together.  (Mom- This may end up being another decade project!, lol)


So far with 5 of the  A pieces:   TADA one nights worth of time.   I used oak tag paper to audition which part I'd use and also for placement when cutting out.  Worked pretty well.


This is the fabric used for that first star center.

The fabrics selected for it (so far), I am thinking it needs some more blacks, solid colors, some very light-lights,  and those "read-like-solids" prints besides of course some Tula Pink prints perhaps.

The assortment of fabrics (so far) for La Passacaglia. 
My theme fabric that touched my heart for this quilt is on the upper right
and the upper left is what I choose to make the first configuration of the 5 star center.

September's goal of finishing this wool piece  -  DONE!

Nesting Time, a Primitive Gatherings design was my portable/totable project and has come to an end.
I love and enjoyed stitching on this wool table mat "Nesting Time",  the good Lord knows that's what I like to do too!  lol   (Love my nest! btw)

With this project I continuously tried to expand my stitching repertoire.  I own two of Sue Spargo books which helped me with their excellent illustrations.
Also on this table mat is my first ever Colonial  knot.  Thanks to a yahoo group I belong to, Lisa Bongean had a video explaining this knot perfectly in the moon Garden SAL, Thanks Lisa!


Since I was out of the fusible that was large enough to attach the backing, DH and I took an hour ride to Joann's so I could obtain some.  Couldn't believe with all that I own, I didn't have any!







Also learning how to draw on a picture with editing (notice the blue arrow above), it's good to learn new things though I feel like I'm stumbling through and on wards  in getting it done or just happy accidents!

Got the fusible for backing it - Done,
Adhered it - Done,
Stitched the edge finish - Done!

I won't be labeling this one though, it's good enough as is.

DH and I are still working on the island garden, should be finished this week if the weather stops crying, and crying so hard too.  Another project that we want to get finished is to repaint the outside of the above ground pool, so even with the dampness wetness/condensation on the walls, we started prepping that area by scrubbing the walls and moving the stones away from the bottom.

Christian Science Chapel 
As for health, we are both doing great.  While DH was hospitalized at Tufts, his nurse, Audrey told us about a sight we should see whenever we could called the Mapporium at the Christian Science Center so during last month's transplant clinic and heart biopsy visit, we visited that site and the chapels that were on the premises.  The Site is absolutely gorgeous and a stunning creation representing a moment of time on this earth.  I believe the creation was finished in 1935 and since funding besides the many global changes that have occured since that time, geographically it has 'stayed at that moment of time'.  Mary Baker Eddy had vision and altruistic benevolence.  Just letting you know now, that if you have any secrets do NOT whisper them in the globe as all sounds are amplified.








Now a Miss Teenager and her younger brother - 2018





The youngest grands going off to school, 2018.
Going into fourth and eighth grades.  Another year of learning, fun and adventure besides reconnecting with their friends.


TTFN,

Jane





2 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Your little pincushion/sewing companion is so cute. I LOVE the wool project that you are working on too. That is fabulous.

Susan said...

That Christian Science Center is wonderful even from the outside. Thanks for posting the map - I don't even know how one would go about updating it, if one wanted to!