Translate

Friday, November 4, 2011

Key West Sunset Quilt

A while back, I mentioned I would be back to share information learned along the way while making this Orange Crush Mystery Quilt. First of all, let me share the actual photo of the finished quilt while it hung at our quilt show.



KEY WEST SUNSET QUILT
Finished 10-7-2011

A friend of mine took a photo of it while it was displayed at our quilt show. Thanks Patti! Here are a couple of others items I quilted into the borders that I haven't shared with you yet.





Overall, the boders contained shells, seaweed clumps on both lower edges, a couple of angel fish, several sea horses, a couple of dolphins playing, a field of jelly fish (I actually did eight of them totally free hand- no tissue paper!) and the piece de resistance- the Mermaid.
It was enjoyable playing with thread and accomplishing all of these free hand. Now I can't draw a straight line with a ruler typically, but with tracing this designs through free copy right onto tissue paper for the more detailed ones and practising on my dry erase board for the simpler designs, I was able to get what I wanted where it needed to be. Amazingly I had fun and really did it! Yoorah ME.

I learned some things about me in the process.

***Usually there is a tendancy around here to postpone going into the next step. I'll drag my feet and overthink the project until I get fustrated and then it will be put aside to the UFO pile that I truly do love all parts of quilt making. I need to put my fear aside and just do it. Thanks to the dooming deadline, I did jump into this much quicker.

***But another lesson learned, stop procastinating so you have that huge deadline approaching faster, sooner. While finishing up the quilting, I thought of having more quilting done within the interior of the quilt, BUT because of said quilt show dealine, I skipped over that bit and did enough so the borders could be finished and done in time. One week before the show, I still had to sew on the borders, quilt and bind the thing. YEE GADS!

I didn't care for sewing the borders on after the center top was quilted with my domestic sewing machine. It was another first attempt for me to try and while it is okay, there are 2 little wrinkles now on the back of this in one border AND they will be staying there.
***Next time, assemble the whole top. If I need to reduce the bulk of the quilt to get it through my machine, then I'll cut the batting and backing off to quilt the center area easier.

Still have to put the label on it. Will be getting to that as soon as I receive the "Quilt Album" software I ordered. Not sure yet how this will work, but with thinking about labeling this one I stumbled across this software. So after checking out there website and saw the possibilities this could be do, I ordered a hard copy of it that I will be sharing with my Mom's computer so when I visit her there, I can still take care of business. Am still waiting for the delivery.




Am thinking of photographing the quilt and then use that in the label.

I grabbed some snap shots of the backing done for it too.

It's not perfectly squared up with the quilt boundaries (shhhh!), but I like it anyway.
I threw some of the discarded blocks onto the back in a manner that pleased me.
Notice the star fish on the bottom border, boy that stands out on the back too!



Here are a couple of shots I just took of the whole quilt that I took of it on my deck. That little bit of white stuff is our first bit of snow.





How's that for an Oxymoron: Key West Sunset does the Adirondack Autumn that is rushing into winter.
This was a Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt called Orange Crush initially.  I love, Love, LOVE all her details of piecing.  Thank you so much Bonnie.  With this one, I changed her layout to have that diagonal flow of chains in the quilt top and then went onto my nautical theme after fondly remembering our trip to the Florida Keys with the sunset off Sunset Pier at Zero Duval Street.   What a great vacation and fond memories.


Enjoy your day,
Jane

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

Wow! The quilting on this is amazing. Good job getting it done. I used to procrastinate the next step, but now just love to finish things.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

RIght! I too love you quilt and the uniqueness of the quilting...it's so fun and creative and accents the quilt top perfectly!!! Thanks for sharing with us at Tuesday Archives! V:)