Translate

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Stash Report week 8 of 2012

Ginger Rose 2012 BOM
designer, Nancy Murty

Used this Week: 0 yards

Used year to Date: 9 yards

Added this Week: 33.625 yards

Added Year to Date: 68.625 yards

Net for 2012: A gain of 59.625 yards


Another of my favorite quilt shops, Loose Threads had a 25% off their notion wall, patterns and books this past weekend and there is this ruler I've had my eye on that it seemed like a perfect time to purchase it.  So I went there with honorable intentions of acquiring said ruler.  Oh No.... the BOM shown there from Nancy Davis Murty was just gorgous.  Of course they were sold out of that BOM with the Ginger Rose fabric line as shown o n the right.  This photo does not do that quilt any justice, it just sings! 




Anyway, I found a beautiful floral fabric line in brown with pale green and mauve that I could imagine in that pattern and of course it would be perfect for the master bedroom.  The rest they say is history, I just wish I knew who they were.  

All laid out with notes on where I'll be using them.


As if I needed more fabric OR projects yet.  
Since DH and I have been dealing with medical problems of appendicitis with emergency surgery thrown in for a patient with a bad heart and with me having a  "mild"  case of the Shingles (per the doctor, all I can say it didn't feel mild) , can I say a major OUCH! Nothing else has happened this past week, just time to heal.   It was Friday before I started feeling human again and I think I overdid it too soon.  I am in such discomfort right now and through the night I was miserable and hardly slept.


There are still 10 more wonky houses to make and the 12 - 6" signature blocks that I need to do send out so they are received by March 1st.  I plan on doing 2 houses today, that is with my health and the pain permitting.  Wow, thats a whole new perspective with putting shingles on something.  I am satisfied that I went to the Doctor yesterday to make sure I wasn't contagious before allowing myself to touch blocks meant for other people. 

After reading different topics about shingles on the web, would you believe that I boiled the clothes I wore.    The time line was something like this:  DH with diarrhea since 2 Tuesdays ago.  We both thought he had a GI flu since the youngest grandchildren just the week before had it.  Wednesday night DH started experiencing pain that increased in intensity so we called for the ambulance Thursday morning.  At the local Emergency Room it was confirmed that he had appenditis going on and would need surgery.  Cardiology was called in to approve that he was okay for surgery.  Huh?  If he didn't get it he'd have a ruptured appendix, subsequent septsis and die, what alternative is there!   Any way, the Doctor very intelligently said yes surgery was necessary and he was approved.  Then  a couple of fresh frozen plasma units were ordered  as well as a couple of Vitamen K injections to counter act the Coumadin therapy that he is on. 
Surgery happened at 4:30 pm and all went well, thanks God.  A very long day and finally he got to a hostipal room at 8pm.  I was tired and noticed discomfort and a small lesion in the braline under my right arm.  Asked daughter in the OR area to place a bandaid on it since I thought it was stress and perhaps something that got snagged within my bra to irritate my skin, I am very sensitive you know.  lol

2012 Star Club Inductee, makes a grandmother proud!

The next day I didn't go to the hospital until the afternoon since the youngest granddaughter was being inducted into the STAR Club at school for positive behavior.  Both parents couldn't attend and I thought someone needed to witness her success so I gladly went.  Visited DH all afternoon but left the hosital earlier, around 6:30 pm since he was totally out of it with the morphine to control his pain.  Went shopping for a couple of items and groceries that way when DH was discharged the following day, I wouldn't have to go to any stores other than to get his R'xs filled, boy I was super glad later that I did that!    At home, I noticed a couple of smaller lesions now near the now larger initial lesion and more pain and discomfort reared it's head when I slowed down.  That's when I knew I had shingles.  Did a google search on the topic and read about it on computer.  One of the articles noted that it can't be spread through clothes if they were boiled.  SO that is what I did Saturday morning while I still remembered which clothes I had on.    Picture me over a boiling stock pot, swirling said garments like any modern witch.  To expidite any possible germs survivng that, I then placed the hot garments outside on the back deck to FREEZE them to death  just in case.  Then I went for medical help at the local Fast Track, filled R'xs and saw DH to let him know.  That's the last time I visited him in the hospital.  With his compromised health, I suggested to both children that he may have to go elsewhere whenever he'd be allowed to go home.  His discharge was Tuesday this past week AND he ended up going to my daughter's house.  It seemed strange having the house to myself and truth be told, kind of nice.  Everything stayed in it's place, no cabinets or doors to shut behind somebody else, coffee drips and water splatters to mop up, chairs to push in, papers to complete and put away,  etc ..... I think you get the picture.   But it did seem like dating again talking with him on the telephone.  So Friday, I had a Doctors appointment and asked DH if he wanted to go and  have a luch date too.   He said yes.  It felt romantic just a touch since we had been apart for 6 days.  Luckily the Doctor told me I wasn't contagiuos and he couldn't be hurt by living next to me so our date ended up with him coming back home to stay.  ;~)

I'm off to play and I  hope you enjoy your day.  Thanks for stopping by and the kind messages and links you leave when you leave a post so I can  see what you've been doing.  It's amazing how much time I can spend on this computer. lol  I recently found Eileen's blog at My Quilting Porch and thoroughly enjoyed all of her quilts and projects.   Check it out if you have time.  I love several of her quilts but especially one from 2008 called Vintage Stitches.  How sweet that one is.  Will share more soon.

Jane

PS: Recently I found Kate's  blog, Life in Pieces, and thought yes, I can do that.  So for 15 minutes last night I cut the fusible paper needed for my wonky houses, am tryinganother style to get them done.  How liberating and educating this project has turned out.
Today, I'll be choosing fabric and pressing them out for 15 minutes  or more.

7 comments:

DeeDee said...

I can understand why you couldn't walk away from the pattern and fabric. Now that you are beginning to feel better you numbers will be changing.

Speedy recovery to the both of you.

WyoPat said...

Wow! You've had quite a time. Better times ahead.

Judy D in AZ said...

Wow, scary time for you and family. I'm glad all is getting better. Have you considered getting the shingle vaccination? I"m glad I have had the shot. You should discuss it with your doctor. I know from a neighbor and a friend that shingles are awful. I did not know that they could be contagious.

Hope you have a much better week.

Lori said...

Good grief--what a week! A friend has shingles where her bra band goes under the boob. I had been reading up on getting the vaccine. Sending your husband good thoughts of a speedy and pain free recovery.

Okay--I drooled over your purchases too

Carol said...

Oh, you poor thing! Having been through shingles twice I know it is not a fun experience. My doctor told me to get the shingles vaccine, but even that isn't guaranteed. My mom had it but came down with a horrid case of shingles about 6 months later!

Hope you and your husband are well on the way to recovery :)

Michelle said...

What a nightmare! I'm glad your hubby is back home with you.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Sorry to hear about your husband's surgery & your shingles. Been dealing with a case of them myself. The watch word is "uncomfortable" though like you I supposedly have a mild case. Still hurts. Soldier on!!