Translate

Friday, November 1, 2013

October's New FO

While catching my breath after the warp speed of getting my projects done for the quilt show there came a time to create some New FO's that I've been wanting and needing to tackle.   First we were able to harvest 65 pounds of Concord Grapes fom our two vines.  While the youngest grand was at preschool, we cut almost all of our grapes off, but left a few clusters for him to cut when he got home.  You have to teach the young ones early about helping in the harvest right?  He had fun.
 
So I got about 30 quarts of grape juice and about 20 pints of Grape Jelly put up for the winter. 
That counts as a New Fo Barb, right?  lol  
A new to us recipe was tried with  a lower sugared version on half of the jelly,
hopefully it will be fine,  crossing my fingers. 
 
 
Next came some New FO's of a different version.  A couple of  arts and crafts projects to do with both grandchildren. 
The idea came from Martha Stewart and I printed out her pumpkin faces on card stock to have ready when the time came.   I tried to share the link with the exact same spot I got these from. but can't find it quickly, sorry.  
Coming back to edit since it was just found here.
 
 
Pretty cute right? 
 
Then my grand daughter taught me how to create a pumpkin with a craft she learned at Girl Scouts.  Her's is on the right and  mine is on the left.  She thought I did okay and she continued to make the centered pumpkin with an idea she had. 
 

 
I do love that she is so creative!
 
 

That brings us to the morning of Halloween, super woman (not sure if I am taking about her or me) here.                                                       Arriving 30 minutes before the AM school bus at my house, she has a broken superwoman boot and the homemade super girl cape I made her earlier this year or last can't be worn with her costumes' velcro parts.  The cape was made to velcro around her neck to close, not hang off a costume and the other type of hook or loop part was needed in one area of it to make it work.                                                                                    Anyways, she asked if I could fix it?  In 25 minutes?    Okay. I'll try, you eat your breakfast and I went to work.  One boot fixed, the velcro changed on the cape, great!  Perfect, got it done.  Then I heard from her, "Thanks Meme you're the best,  but could you fix my other boot like you did this one?"  10 minutes before the bus now....... I got busy, ripped the offending part off the other boot and sewed on new elastic.                                     Finished them all with 3 minutes to spare,  Phew! !!!                           Okay now I'll have my cup of tea.                                                            She caught the bus with a broad smile on her face. 
8:00 AM, That's when the lil' guy asked.  "Can you make a Minion costume for me?"  With the Halloween parade at his sisters' school taking place we had to leave at 8:30 am. 
SEW.....I got busy again
but at least with a cup of tea in hand this time. 
 
First the glasses, thank goodness I had some of my canning stuff not put away yet and  I had an idea......

 
The Ball canning rims for glasses with black elastic super glued in the right areas.   Papa had to search in his clothes for the right yellow tee shirt and Brody went to the mitten and glove box to look and see if we had some black gloves. 
And viola.....
 
  a MINION!   
 
vido, vido, vido......

 
 
He says he's Dave the minion. Too cute! 
 
I told them next year I need more notification though like perhaps several days. 
My daughter laughed with glee when she saw it and heard the story. 
Ahhh, Such is life. 
 
We all had a great time at his sister's school and enjoyed a turkey dinner lunch since Grandparent's Day was also being celebrated. 
When we got home, I had such a yearning for a nap though, I was totally spent!


 Happy Halloween Everyone!!!! 

Jane


Am thinking of making my November New FO one of these.

7 comments:

Sandy Panagos said...

Oh my goodness, you really ARE superwoman! I would have just gone back to bed, I'm afraid. You did great on everything!

Tami C said...

You stayed quit busy with NewFO's first thing in the morning! What a great Meme!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, gramma needs a cape too! Love the quick Minnion costume - tee hee.

Lori said...

You did good. I was asked for--a fireman's hat and yellow coat--small enough to fit a 5yo. Nope--I didn't have any.

Ray and Jeanne said...

You've had a busy month! Glad you are a master of time and fixes! ~Jeanne

Anonymous said...

You are a whiz of a grandmother! I love your little minion AND your darling girl's boots. The minion glasses were perfect! I can't imagine doing 65 pounds of grapes! I did about 10 pounds and thought I'd go crazy. I hope you have a real steamer! You can't beat the taste of the juice, though - it makes Welch's taste like water. My son loves it! Sadly, I only had about a gallon this year. Last year, I did twice as many grapes - no energy this year!

Barbara said...

Very cute!