Translate

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ideas with scrap therapy....

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting new quilters at the local quilt shop on Saturday. Pleased too that I was able to get some scraps cut. Now to carve out 15 minutes every day to keep tackling that scrap basket.
Joan Ford of Syracuse, NY created this idea and has been marketing 2 patterns each month to help eliminate the scraps you cut with this process. The idea is to cut
2", 3-1/2 " and 5" squares, and by sewng these sizes together as four patches, nine patches and/or half squares triangles that you can intertwinethese sizes and units to make a quilt pattern.
It was good to sit and cut from my scrap basket. While there, I met some quilters and lucky for me that one of them came with a bag of fleece scraps for dog bed fillers. I ooohed and awed over some of the scraps and she kindly offered them to me. I have some fibers in stock to make some little "bootie" slippers for the almost 1 year old grandson.
I should get to those right away too before he has a size 10 DD foot and then I'd have to run out and try to match more fabric to finish his slippers. I know, I know, I need help. LOL!

The idea is to cut 2", 3-1/2" and 5" scraps and by incorporating those sizes into sewn units which become larger patterns because they play so well together. Loose Threads Quilt Shop had many nice examples. Here are some of the samples they showed.



They are so nice and great quilters, so if you are ever in Plattsburgh, NY stop by their shop.

My Mom and I have been working on my scrap basket for awhile. Earlier this spring I had 3 huge containers of scraps. Now I have one huge basket left and many containers of cut pieces ready to be used. Many I have already implemented into quilts and many more ready to go. On some previous postings you have seen me using some of my scraps cuttings. But I do have so many sizes in my own system, that it was good to have a simplified system explained at the class. I have 1-1/2", 2",2-1/2", 3", 4" and 5" squares. Strips are cut in 1-1/2", 2" and 2-1/2" widths, and I think I may start a 5"strip width too. If pieces don't fit in those parameters then I do also save a 1"x5" string, weird strings pieces not parallel, mile a minute scraps and selvage strings. At this rate I'll have enough scarps to last 9 lives.
Here's alittle snap shop of an embroidery they had in a quilt they had in the long arm. It's too cute! If you know who this designer is, please let me know. I'd love to get this for another little stitchery for the holidays.

Afterward shopping for a gift for PGD#1 speech pathologist whose last visit is happening on Monday, I met DH out at a function. A friend was having a surprise 35 years in business celebration that we wanted to attend. There were many people there that I hadn't seen in quite awhile, so it was good to reconnect. Didn't stay out too late since being so emotional lately with the loss of a friend and a friend becoming a widow so young, that I was very tired. Home by 7pm and in bed by 9. A record for me, I guess I'm more tired than I had at first imagined. Stay Well and wish me luck finishing the surprise gift for the Speech therapist, Heather. She'll be missed. She has been a wonderful friend to our whole family.

Happy Stitching,
Jane

No comments: